Trelinnoe Park - For Sale
Welcome to one of New Zealands finest woodland gardens.
In 1956 brothers Brian and John Wills took up residence on the
2800 acres (1134 ha¹s) of waste scrub land that had not been
successfully farmed. Their ambition was to create a profitable and
pleasing farming enterprise. The result is Trelinnoe Park.
The park’s 30 acres has an exceptionally wide and varied
collection of trees, shrubs, perennials and natives. Landscaped
woodland paths, wide sweeps of lawns, clipped hedges, hillsides
of flowering trees and spectacular vistas.
We have many unusual and rare trees and shrubs. The Mexican
hand flower tree Chirantho dendron pentadactylon flourishes
in the garden. We enjoy our groups of Franklinia alatamaha , a tree
sized hydrangea from Indo china, a yellow flowered hydrangea
from Yunnan. The clouds of golden flowers displayed by our parrotiopsis
jacquemontiana are some of our treasures.
The floor of the woodland garden display's plantings of perennials
and ground covers. Early spring sees mass plantings of daffodils,
jonquils and a wide selection of other spring bulbs. Clivias add
their warm colours of orange and red. Irisis cast their reflections
in the small lakes. Drifts of astilbes and rogercias paint colour
along the stream sides. In parts of the garden the lush leaves and
strong perfume of Himalayan lilies, Cardiocrinum giganteum create
an extensive understory of great interest in early summer.
The garden has wide expanses of lawns which are a structural feature
of design, giving a feeling of expanse also setting off by contrast
the slopes of woodland planting. The framing of vistas both within
and without the garden is a strong element of its design.
John and Brian called their piece of land Trelinnoe (pronounced
Tree _lin _o ) in memory of a farm in Cornwall where their Grandfather
was born and grew up before immigrating to New Zealand.
By the mid sixties the farm was sufficiently developed to allow
some time off for John to express his life interest in gardening.
Since then he have steadily developed the garden with plantings
and creative landscape. It's today some 30 ac.(12 ha) in extent.